Pets are the kid’s BEST friend, only if you choose the best pets for kids.
There’s a saying….
If you want to be loved forever, buy a dog, feed him, and keep him around.
Nowadays, we see many people keep a pet at home; be it a dog, a cat, a bird or a fish. Even kids demand to have a pet as their companion.
So, is it a trend or is there a concrete reason behind it?
Why people keep pets?
Research proves kids who grow up with pets show many benefits like:
- Development of self-esteem and confidence
- Learn empathy and compassion
- Learn to take responsibilities by caring for their pets- feeding them, taking them out for a walk, cleaning their litter, etc.
- Understand love, loyalty, affection and respect for other living beings
I know what you are thinking next!
A pet provides so many benefits to the child. But what about his safety?
No, I don’t say pets are safe!
These are the risks involved with a pet:
- Bites and scratches
- Allergies or asthma triggered by the animal fur, saliva, feathers and skin flakes.
- Zoonotic diseases (they are the infections that exist in animals but can be transmitted to humans)
- Tripping over or being knocked over by the pet
- Child swallowing the pet’s food- choking or infection by eating dried cat or dog food (usually in toddlers)
However, there’s a way out to REDUCE these risks and give your child his favourite companion – THE PET
How to find the best pets for kids?
IMPORTANT: If you stay away from home for long hours, DON’T GET a pet. Pets, especially pups need constant care, love and support, else they end up being psychologically hurt.
Before you welcome a pet at home, consider these points:
1. Family Consent
It’s essential to have the consent of all the family members in the house before bringing in a pet; else it might become difficult for the concerned member and the pet to adapt to each other.
2. Veterinary Approval
Ask a veterinarian specialist in your area before choosing the best pets for kids. He can guide you on the pet suitable to your lifestyle, family earnings and environment, the age of your kids, and a trusted source to buy from.
You can also request him to accompany you for the pet purchase process. He can select the healthy breed and perform the basic health-check up of the animal before you get it home.
3. Paediatric Consultation
Confirm with your paediatrician if it’s OK for your kid to have a pet in the family.
*TIP: If your kid has asthma or any allergy, it’s advisable NOT to have a pet at home.
Bringing a pet home is bringing in a new family member. It will increase your expenses on food, healthcare, and other needs. So, plan how you will manage your expenses on pet care.
Preparing your home and kids for the pet
Make your home pet-friendly:
- Clean up the garden/place where you will keep the pet. Make a comfy and an airy shelter for the pet.
- Manage all the loose wirings at home
- Stock on the pet food supplies in advance
- Prepare your kids for the pet arrival. Tell them to pat the pet gently and how to take care of the furry friend.
Take the following precautions:
1.Don’t let the child in front of the pet immediately. Pepare the pet for this kind of attention before he runs into a child.
Treat him like kids usually do. Gently pull his tail, hold his paws, hug him, and check out his ears. If the pet behaves well, it’s OK to introduce him to the kids. But, if it exhibits fear or anxiety at this gentle prodding, it’s best to keep the kids at a distance for some time.
2. Don’t allow the pet into the child’s room while he is sleeping and vice versa
3. Never leave your child unattended with a pet. Watch your child at all times as young children do not understand danger.
4. Clear up the animal droppings immediately and change the beddings regularly.
5. Deworm the pet and take him for regular vaccinations and health-checkups.
6. If your pet shows any signs of sickness, consult your vet immediately. Keep your children away from the sick pets.
7. Ask your child to ALWAYS wash his hands after handling the pet. Make sure you follow the same as children learn from what you do.
What to carry away from this post?
You’ll be happier I bet when you bring a Pet. So, if you are thinking to get a pet home, plan the expenses and pet care, and ensure you prepare your kids well to welcome the new member in the family.
I have prepared a downloadable checklist for the parents getting a pet for their kids. Click the button below and download it now. It’s absolutely FREE!
Have more concerns and questions? Drop them in the comments and I will answer them.
If anyone in your circle has kids and is planning to get a pet, do share this post with them. They will Thank you for the whole life.
Get more tips on child safety in your INBOX by signing-up below. It’s absolutely FREE!Send me the posts